A blog about my beautiful budgies.
Daily Archives: 9 March 2014
9 March 2014Posted by on
Yesterday (Saturday), Phineas presented me with a few things to worry about:
- Firstly, on uncovering him in the morning, I scanned for his overnight poops but could not find any. I found that very puzzling. There is always a poop pile the next morning. Odd.
- Secondly, when I offered Phinny an in-cage jiggy-jiggy, his bottom area felt different. Swollen. Softer.
- Thirdly, when Phinny pooped during the day, they were abnormal. As you can see from the photos, they were a very murky yellowy colour. A few times he just pooped water.
- Fourthly, when Phineas preened his bottom area, it looked a bit red. It is generally a little bald, due to his “bot rubs” but more pinky.
- Fifthly, he slept a lot. He rarely sleeps during the day. When Cagney & Bezukhov are sleeping then he may, at a push, have a quick nap, but he certainly never sleeps if they are not sleeping.
So worry I did. Naturally, being the weekend, the vet’s was closed, although an emergency number is supplied. I found myself searching on the internet for other exotic vets (an avian vet is now like gold dust ’round these parts). I came across a veterinary hospital that has recently opened a new in-patients ward for exotics, & has its own vet with a special interest in exotics – reptiles & birds. What is more…. it is open on Sundays!
I spent a worrying night as Phinny did not sleep on his swing (another departure from the norm) but fortunately awoke this morning to find he had pooped & they were back to a more normal looking colour. He was also in good form & keen for an in-cage jiggy-jiggy. His bottom area still felt swollen.
To be on the safe side, I booked an appointment at the veterinary hospital. Read more of this post