Previously, I had posted on Bezukhov’s visit to the vet.
Since then, although Bezukhov recovered initially from the visit itself, he was certainly not back to his old self. He was sleeping most of the time & alarmingly, stopped chirping. Was this a result of his ordeal or a further symptom of whatever health problem he was suffering from? Either way, it has been most upsetting. This is Bezukhov… babbling Bezukhov…. who will chat to anything, inanimate or animate.
We got partial test results back on Tuesday 13th May. These indicated an infection. The antibiotic Clavaseptin was prescribed. Ms Exotic Hospital Vet (EHV) said it could be mixed in apple juice or water. I mistakenly thought this was something I could put in their usual water bottle but she corrected me, no it is to be given orally.
Twice a day.
[Oh deary me]
How long for?
[Oh deary, deary me]
I picked the medication up that evening so the military operation could begin first thing Wednesday morning.
Though it is often recommended to catch a bird with a cloth, I prefer to catch with my hand. With a cloth I am worried a wing may be still be opened up or they are in an undesirable position which is not immediately apparent as it is hidden by the material. That said, it is handy to hold the bird still in a cloth in order to administer medication. My method is to catch by hand, then hold close to my chest whilst draping the cloth around them. It is worth noting that the cloth used should not have too open a weave that claws can get caught in. Equally, when held to the chest, I make sure my top is smooth enough not to entangle claws.
It goes without saying that all items to be used should be within handy reach! The tablets were already pre-cut into quarters by Ms EHV. I grind a portion between two teaspoons. This powder is mixed into approximately three drops of water & sucked up into the syringe, ready for action.
- Day 1 of medication (Wednesday)
AM: Attempted to catch Bezukhov in the Manor. Though I stood in front of the cage’s main door, Cagney flew out, followed closely by Bezukhov. Managed to catch Bezukhov when he was on the side of Phinny’s cage. Full medication successfully given. 10/10
PM: Caught Bezukhov whilst he was out. Very wriggly. Half the medication went on his chin, half in his beak. 5/10
- Day 2 of medication (Thursday)
AM: Caught Bezukhov in the Manor. Full medication successfully given. 10/10
PM: Caught Bezukhov whilst he was on the window perch preening. I had to reposition him in the tea-towel about 4 times. Very wriggly. Syringed all medication down the side of his head, possibly into his ear. 0/10
- Day 3 of medication (Friday)
AM: Caught Bezukhov in the Manor. Partial medication given as some went down the side of his head. 7.5/10
PM: Caught Bezukhov whilst he was in the manor, eating wild grass. I did this very quickly & I think we were both equally surprised. Due to the low success rate in the evenings, I changed tactic & decided to use a dropper instead of the syringe. As far as I know, he had most of the medicine. This time though, when being released from the tea-towel, his toenail was caught up in it, so there was a little tussle at the end to free it. 9.5/10
I would like to add that so far, Bezukhov has been so good natured through all this. Yes, of course he does not want to be grabbed. Yes, of course he is feeling under the weather & is grumpier than usual. Yet, so far, he has not bitten me during medication time. He appears not to hold it against me.
The good news is that Bezukhov has perked up considerably. Though he did not stop eating, he is now eating again with gusto. He is flying again & has also started chirping. To my knowledge, he has not had a seizure since the Thursday before the vet visit (8 days ago).
To be continued…