13 December 2015
Posted by on
Two days ago, I spoke with Ms Exotic Hospital Vet (EHV). We had previously planned to reassess Bezukhov’s medication regime in November. With the loss of Cagney, a major moult & significant weight loss, I deliberately delayed this to wait until Bezukhov was in better shape, both physically & mentally.
It is understood that Bezukhov needs more blood tests to determine how his liver & gallbladder are functioning. He was last tested at the beginning of June. At the moment, I am reluctant to put him through the ordeal of another one. Though Bezukhov is in much better spirits after all the recent upset, I feel he is still adjusting & do not want to stress him further if it is not absolutely necessary.
With that in mind, & also the fact that I have not witnessed any ‘episodes’ in recent months, we agreed to gradually reduce his medication. If he starts having ‘episodes’ again, then he will be straight back on the old regime. It was agreed to stop giving him the Lactulose (the sticky medicine to support his liver) but continue with the Destolit (for gallbladder) every 3 days (not every other day).
All being well, to be reviewed at the end of January 2016.
I find this a scary change. Clearly the medicine, over time, has stabilised him. If possible, we want to reduce the medication, yet at the same time do not want to upset the status quo. Either way, I will continue to watch my beautiful boy closely.