A blog about my beautiful budgies.
Wait & See
1 February 2021Posted by on
When I last posted on Perry’s health (click here) I said that we were waiting to see our usual vet. She visited on the 14th January. After a thorough examination, the conclusion was ‘wait & see‘.
She said the following:
- The ball of dead tissue that fell off (15th December) left a crater, which has a lining of dead tissue. (The dead tissue is where there is an absence of blood vessels which can happen as a lump grows). This can be surgically removed but it is unknown how deep it is etc. It is normal for the dead tissue to expand & is not necessarily a bad thing. The tissue around it looks healthy which suggests it may be healthy underneath too. The best case scenario is that when ready, it will just fall away.
- The lower wound appears to show that bleeding from the abscess/cyst/blood blister was from two areas. There is a ‘cavern’ between them that looks like a scab. As with the upper wound, it is hoped his body will push out the remaining blood clot when appropriate.
- The lower part of the lump is hard & still intact & brushing against his leg, hence his mobility issues.
- It is still unknown what is happening inside/below the lump so there could still be unforeseen complications.
- There was no obvious reason why he would bleed again, especially given his last bleed was on the 1st January.
- It could take Perry up to 3 weeks to recover from the significant blood loss.
There was a lot of information so my interpretation is probably not spot on, but I think I got the gist of it!
One thing I am sure of is that the vet weighed him & he was a huge 65g! That may be all the extra millet I have been giving him. As he is still stable & appears in good spirits, I have already begun to cut back on the millet!