1 February 2014
Posted by on
My previous post, The Last Two Weeks, describes the lead up to this last day with Thomas.
On the morning of the 27th January, I spoke with Mr EV again & he said I could pick up the medication Heptosyl, that afternoon. It is a powder in capsule form, typically given to dogs & cats.
Thomas was by now just chewing on beetroot stalks. It seemed the beetroot was what was keeping him going. His breathing had got noticeably worse. I had let Phineas out early on to give Thomas some peace in his own cage. However, around 2pm he sat in front of his door & made it clear he wanted to come out. I was reluctant, but opened the door….
Thomas attempted to fly to the Manor, but was too weak to do so & landed on the floor. A bad sign was that his wings were open & he appeared to not have the energy to close them. I gently picked him up. He was breathing heavily. I managed to hold him in as comfortable a way as possible. His feet were around my finger as if they were perching, with that hand cradling his body. He rested his head on my other hand.
To say I was alarmed & upset would be an understatement. I thought this was it. I repeatedly told him we all loved him & gently stroked his cheek feathers. We were like this for about 15 minutes. Then he shook himself & wanted to get up. I let him make his way to the top of the Manor. Read more of this post
30 January 2014
Posted by on
We are still reeling from the loss of Thomas. After my last post on Thomas & his health problems, various things were going on in the background.
In writing this post it has turned into a clinical list of events. That is partly my intention as I feel the need to log our efforts to help Thomas:
- Tuesday, 14th January – Thomas began a course of antibiotics in the evening, to deal with a suspected infection.
- Friday, 17th January – By this time, his poops were like pea soup & Thomas was more lethargic & sleepy. I spoke to Mr EV that day & he said to come off the Baytril. I removed it & replaced it with Guardian Angel in his water.
- Monday, 20th January – Two lots of poop samples were given to Mr EV. One was to test for bacteria and/or infection & the other to check if he is digesting food properly. In the meantime, Thomas had a combination of Milk Thistle, L-Carnitine & Guardian Angel in his water.
- Thursday, 23rd January – One lot of results were in: Thomas did NOT have an infection. The other results were due later on, but speculating on those, Mr EV seemed to think the problem was all to do with Thomas’s liver not doing what it is supposed to do. He mentioned another supplement that is used for dogs & cats but not tested on birds (probably due to dosage etc.)
- Friday, 24th January – All this time, Thomas was getting worse. At this point, I gave him Aloe Vera juice in his water (5ml in 50ml of water) & also pegged up a piece of Aloe Vera leaf which he appeared to nibble/lick.
- Saturday, 25th January – Thomas had some slurps of the water with Aloe Vera. He was eating millet when offered & sometimes seed.
- Sunday, 26th January – In the morning, he stopped eating seed. Not even millet. In desperation I offered him different vegetables. He turned away from broccoli, celery, & spinach. However, his eyes lit up when he saw the beetroot stalk. Whatever beetroot had, he wanted it. He could not get enough of those stalks. In the afternoon he was even inspired to eat a little seed. I switched back to Guardian Angel in his water.
Despite the obvious need to medicate to improve Thomas’s condition, his general well-being was Read more of this post