As previously posted, the Manor is no more. However, parts of the Manor have been salvaged, so it still lives on, in a somewhat limited & modified form.
The loft area
The former loft area, the dome-shaped part of the manor, that was typically the bedtime area, has been retained. It was given a thorough clean & the lock on the top removed due to ingrained rust that could not be removed. To join the two pieces together, I used cable ties & string. To keep the shape, I trimmed some plastic perches (I knew I was keeping them for something!) & wedged them across the bottom at both ends. These two changes produced a very sturdy structure, which can now be placed on top of a Villa & used as a playgym & general hang-out area.
The bottom grid
The Manor is made of substantially heavier material than the Villa. This meant that the newly fashioned dome lay quite heavy on the thinner bars of the Villa. Enter the bottom grid of the Manor. The Villa is slightly shorter in length & wider in depth than the Manor so the bottom grid fits very neatly & securely across the top of a Villa, with a tiny overhang on one side (assuming the other side is flush to the edge) Because the grid is resting on the two side edges of the Villa, essentially the frame of the cage, it is supported well. The addition of pegs along the back of the Villa (which are holding up the back cover anyway) ensure it does not slip & for the ‘belt & braces’ effect, ties on each corner further secure it.
The repurposed loft area is now known as the Tunnel, mainly because you can go all the way through it & out the other end. The Tunnel is fairly heavy so it does not lend itself to much movement when placed on the bottom grid of the Manor, on top of the Villa (keep up!) However, for extra security, I placed a couple of ‘thingamajigs’ (the pink plastic connectors of a ladder, seen in this post here) at the back of the bottom grid to be used as stoppers to prevent the Tunnel from slipping backwards. A peg at the front stops it from slipping forward. The Tunnel is removed each evening, by simply lifting it up, & placing it on my coffee table; this makes it easier for me to put their bedtime cover over the Villa, with the added bonus that I can easily clean the Tunnel & any perches & toys that are attached.
The Manor landing platform, a location of much activity in the past, has also been repurposed. I decided to position it on the side of the Villa. Once again, because it is quite heavy, I needed a strong way to secure it. The D-rings used for the large Manor seed pots were screwed on to provide a base to rest the landing platform on. A perch from the far edge of the platform running underneath to the Villa secures the right level & further ties ensure no slippage.
I am pleased to report that all the above changes have been accepted by all Villa occupants, most probably because of the familiarity of the parts used.
Welcome back to the bits of the Manor!