At 11pm on Saturday the 3rd of September, I peeked under their covers, as was routine, to check all was okay before dropping the big cover down further. Perry & Lennie’s cage liner on the bottom had been changed about 2 hours earlier, so I was surprised it did not look clean. When I looked closer, I realised it was blood.
I spotted Lennie’s tail feather laying across the seed pot. He had lost his other one a couple of days earlier, which seemed odd to me as it had only just grown in. He had lost both tail feathers just weeks ago (click here to read that post) so I was not expecting the new ones to drop so quickly. I assumed this was a blood feather problem. Had the bleeding stopped or was it ongoing? I took the cage liner away to reveal the clean one underneath so it would be easier to check.
Then I saw a big clot drop. I knew I had to take immediate action.
Under the flight cage, I have three small travel cages for emergency evacuation (one each in red, white & blue). The one on top just happened to be the red one. Cornflour was put into a wide container. I caught Lennie & basically covered his lower section in the cornflour, not really knowing where the site of the bleed was, & then placed him in the travel cage with a cover over.
After a few minutes I checked to see if he was still bleeding. It was difficult to judge how much blood had dropped because the base of the travel cage was red, but I could see blood mingled in with the white cornflour that had fallen off him. I doused Lennie again in cornflour & put him back. He was still bleeding so I carried on dunking him in the cornflour (literally, I dunked him in & ‘bathed’ him). I discarded the red travel cage & alternated between the white & blue one. That way, I could wipe around the one not in use, so each time he was placed into a clean one, making it easier to judge blood loss.Continue reading “Saturday Night and Sunday Morning”